Monday, July 25, 2011

Vienna, Art overload

As we begin our visit to Wien, there is a meditation at the Gompa. They kindly hold the meditations AND the 10 minutes' talk in English in our honor. The topic is the difference between consuming and producing Buddhism. I really enjoy the talk. It reminds me of my own development. At night a girls takes us (Pasha, the Russian Prince has once again joined our path) to an italian restaurant, Va Piano. Deliciousness!!!

The following day our true mission starts: And the mission is to cover as much museum ground as possible! Our cameras click non stop!!! We have a blast at the Museum Quartier, enjoying the Shiele collection. Personally I discover a new love. His name is Moser and his paintings stick to my heart. I love him. There is also a special Salvador Dali exhibition, as well as the Alexander Brodsky exhibition at the Arquitecture Museum, and of course the Design Museum, and the Parliament, and the Opera House, and the Jewel of the Day, my pet mission: Haus Der Musik, where you can guide a Philarmonic Orchestra, or compose a Symphony, or enjoy a Symphonic concert at Schönbrun in a huge movie screen, or explore sounds and the whys and because, as well as discover the life of Mozart, Beethoven, Schuman, etc. I am ecstatic at having been there!!! It was amazing!!!











The day is not finished, we decide to close it off by getting on the wrong tram and end up in the furthest side of Vienna, exhausted and cold to the bone. This is probably the coldest place we've been to so far, besides Kuchary, that is. We finally find our way to the metro and return safely and happily to civilization J

We already felt like a bit overloaded with all the art we've been digesting forcefully all day (not to mention the intense urban art present all over the city) but we were still beginners. The best was about to come: ALBERTINA!!!!

Now, if you have the slighest connection to pictoric art, nothing in the world should stop you from visiting the Albertina Museum. It brags about its Picassos and its Monet (which is of course the famous Pond with lillies) but it has MUCH MORE in store for you! And I insist: MUCH MORE!!! As I delighted myself into the tiny Blue Room from Edouard Vuillard and enjoyed the beautiful paintings from Kupka, Kandinsky, Miró, Sam Francis, Klee and an amazingly big and perfect Vassarelly, nothing had prepared me for the amazing CHAGAL!!! (who is, by the way, my favorite artist since childhood, when I fell in love with his blue paintings where red suns and horse faces and brides spring up at you from all places) Here, suddenly and against all expectations is the amazing Sleeping Woman with Flowers.

Time stands still.

My eyes are wet, my heart beats loud and fast. I am moved beyond words. This must be the most beautiful thing my eyes ever laid eyes onto, ever. I look at the sleeping girl and the sleeping village in the blue haze of the dream. An explosion of colors brings me close to tears. I cannot take my eyes off the painting and Carina has to basically remove me forcefully from the room. (Of course, that's not true, all she had to do was remind me of the Klimts that await us in the next stop in our tour: The Belvedere!!!




As I walk in the room where The Kiss is exhibited, I can almost sense the painting before seeing it. I KNOW it is there. I purposedly walk around the room looking at the other paintings, the flowery landscapes, the beautiful and perfect  portraits of Judith, who is a Queen, a Goddess of sensuality and yet delicate with her half opened mouth and sparkling teeth. Her face is perfect.

I know that once my eyes set on it, there will be nothing left in me for anything else. Finally, it is there, before me. I smile, contented, and sit down to appreciate it. A special feeling of accomplishment comes over me, like an inner joy. The Kiss. Such a beloved work of art now standing before me. My eyes are witnessing as the artist before me, the sheer sensuality of the lovers, and I can't get over the wealth of design and details.
I take notes of the many tricks Klimt used to paint! How naive!!! As if I'd ever be capable of producing such beauty on a canvas. Her skin is perfectly pallid, ethereal and she wears flowers in her hair J He wears a robe which presents absolute masculinity in black and silver. The bed is made of gold. Garlands hang from their feet. He kisses her and she embraces him and hold his hand.

I am moved.

Klimt said: "The woman is at the heart of my work."

He meant every word.

No comments:

Post a Comment